Who is Fasiq?
In Quran word Fasiq is used at several places and it literally means defiantly disobedient person or anyone who has violated Islamic law; usually refers to one whose character has been corrupted (plural “fasiqun”).
Whether a Muslim can be called as Fasiq? Yes…
Fasiq is a person who does sin (major or minor) and
1) do not attempt to improve himself and
2) do not take steps to stop himself from doing that sin and
3) do not feel guilty of sins (major or minor) and
4) do not ask for forgiveness and
5) do not repent
Example, if a Muslim drinks liquor and says or believes that there is nothing wrong in drinking or call himself a social drinker is a kafir…
But if a Muslim who agrees and believe drinking is haram but still drinks and 1) do not attempt to improve himself and 2) do not take steps to stop himself from doing that sin and 3) do not feel guilty of sins (major or minor) and 4) do not ask for forgiveness and 5) do not repent will fall in category of Fasiq
Fasiq will be in hell if his bad deeds are more than his good deeds
Another example, if a Muslim who smoke, watch movies or TV series or listen to songs etc and 1) do not attempt to improve himself and 2) do not take steps to stop himself from doing that sin and 3) do not feel guilty of sins and 4) do not ask for forgiveness and 5) do not repent will fall in category of Fasiq
1) A Muslim must not be called a kafir, mushrik, munafiq or Fasiq unless there is clear evidence of shirk n kufr for it like idol worshiping, asking for help other than Allah,rejecting any pillars of Iman, rejecting any verse of Quran or hadees, justifying sin , doing haram things n boasting n not asking for forgiveness n do not repent etc..
2) Only Allah has the authority to decide who will go to hell or heaven n Muslim must not give fatwa whether a person is in hell or heaven.
3) Allah can give hidaya to anyone; if a person is a kafir, mushrik, munafiq or Fasiq; may change his mind n repent n will not fall in any of that category..
.. If a Muslim does any major sin like murder, rape, fornication, adultery, not praying, not fasting, lying, drinking liquor,eating pork, dealing in interest, gambling, backbiting, harming others, watching porn,films,music,disco, disrespecting parents n elders, robbery,fraud etc n do not feel any guilt n do not ask for forgiveness n do not repent will fall in that category…
Even a Muslim who does a minor sin like shaving beard, masturbation, etc will fall in that category if he do not feel any guilt n do not ask for forgiveness n do not repent.
A minor sin become major if done everyday n do not feel any guilt n do not ask for forgiveness every time..
Note: As explained above Allah can give hidaya to anyone n person can repent n will not fall in any category. Do not judge others n give fatwa a person is a Fasiq.
*Narrated Abu Dhar:That he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, “If somebody accuses another of Fusuq (by calling him ‘Fasiq’ i.e. a wicked person) or accuses him of Kufr, such an accusation will revert to him (i.e. the accuser) if his companion (the accused) is innocent.”
Reference: 6045,English reference: Vol. 8, Book 73, Hadith 71,In-book reference: Book 78, Hadith 75,Grade: Sahih
*Allah, the Exalted, says:”And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear on themselves the crime of slander and plain sin.” (33:58)
- *Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “Reviling a Muslim is Fusuq (disobedience of Allah) and killing him is (tantamount to) disbelief.”[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
*Conclusion: A good Muslim is he who feel guilty of his sins (major n minor both) n ask for forgiveness n repent n fear Allah n his punishment.
*If a person do not feel guilty of sins (major n minor both) n do not ask for forgiveness n do not repent will fall in category of Fasiq as his heart has become hard n Allah has put a seal on his heart. Allah guide those whom he wills and send astray whom he wills..
*Which means every sinner(gunehgar) is a Fasiq if he continues to sin n do not feel guilty of his sins n do not ask for forgiveness n do not repent.
*A safer approach is not to take any sin easily n lightly; major n minor both. As Allah may forgive major sin after repentance; n a person can be in hell for doing minor sins for which he has taken lightly n not asked for forgiveness n not repented..
Allah knows the best..